There are over 15,000 children with autism in the state of Michigan. That’s a staggering number isn’t it? Today is Global Autism Awareness Day and in an effort to spread the word about Autisum and it’s effects there is a movement in Michigan to Light It Blue. Here are some fast facts about Autism.
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a neurdevelopmental disorder that appears within the first three years of life.
- Autism affects a child’s ability to communicate.
- Autism affects a child’s social interaction with others.
- 1 out of every 88 children has Autism in America
- 1 out of every 54 boys will be diagnosed with Autism
- A child has a greater risk of being diagnosed with autism than childhood cancer, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined
- Michigan has the 4th largest Autistic population in the U.S.
- Lifetime health cost of an child with Autism is $3.7 million dollars
- The rate of Autism in Michigan has increased over 100% since 2001, from 5,680 school children to over 15,000
Source: Light It Blue